February 11, 2005

What's the question again?

The television is playing in the background as I'm doing my writing tonight (fun stories that I'll share sometime). And we're watching Extreme Makeover, where they're about to operate on this couple who feel a tad insecure with how they look. The night before the do, man proposes to his woman - who's caught by surprise (I'm not surprised though).

So after 5 minutes of crying, saying how beautiful the ring was and how lovely the box was looking, the man asks, "So is that a yes?". Woman looks at ring, looks back at him, "Whahuh?" It took her a fair bit before going, "Sure. I didn't say yes?"

Oof.

Which brought me back to a morning in 2000, when I was on the phone with A. I'd just woken up (eyes closed, snuggled under the covers). And he was getting ready for work. We hadn't seen each other for a while - him busy with his gigs in 4-hours-away-land and me, working far too many late nights. After whinging about work and drowning each other in Hallmark-mush, he tells me about our past, the present and how much he's looking forward to the future. After exchanging more I-love-yous, he asks, rather innocently, "So?"

"Mmmmm. What are you wearing?"

"Heh. No baby. Not that. What I meant was, will you marry me?"

Oof.