February 08, 2005

Monday night... raw

After hours of reading, mucking around the house and taking the bicycle for a spin, it's time to call it a day. And I would have crashed by now if it weren't for the fact that I'd just showered and my hair is wet.

I have this thing with toiletries. I love shopping for them and it brings me great joy to lather every inch of my skin with shower foam, shampoo, conditioner, facial wash and what-have-yous. And while I have a skin care range that I stick to, I like variety in the other cleansing thingamatogs.

Currently, I'm in love with this aromatherapy set of shower foams and rinses. The combined forces of Ylang Ylang and Jasmine soothe my nerves after a trying day. And at the risk of sounding like a total narcissist, I fall asleep with my nose buried in my skin.

Scents mean a whole lot to me - comfort, pleasure and intrigue. Some of my favourites: babies, freshly-baked bread, new box of colour pencils (each colour has a different scent, I swear), cut grass, rain and... the smell of sex.

My keen sense of smell makes up for my troubled eyesight and I often rely on scents to identify things. Of course, sometimes it works against me - like when I'm stuck in a crowded train with people who've yet to be introduced to deodorant and proper hygiene.

And when I meet someone new, scents help me form impressions and memories.

So, what do you smell like? Think about it.