March 07, 2005

Aural pleasure

I'm about to leave for more mixing at the house of Jerry, who's been a superb audio engineer so far - funny and fast.

On the subject of music, one of the things that boggle my mind is song meanings. Seemingly tragic numbers, like ones by The Cure send my spirits soaring while uplifting tunes push me into a downward spiral. I spend a fair bit of time analysing lyrics, melodies, instrumentation and why they make me feel what I do.

I keep private journals of my thoughts, dreams and life. And some of the chapters include portraits of songs. I put a song on repeat and paint a picture of what comes through my head as it plays. One of my favourite pieces is based on Craig Armstrong's "This Love" (with Elizabeth Fraser on vocals) - a chaos of stairs on a lined notebook. Of course a picture would be good here. Someday, maybe.

Here's one I've been chewing on lately. "If I find my way, how much will I find?"


Later...

Back from Jerry's studio and one of the pieces we were working on sounded amiss. We tried undressing the track and messed it up a fair bit before reverting to what it was. Remedy came in the form of delaying one of the punches a wee bit. Minor change but it made all the difference.

I like how music doesn't operate on rights, wrongs or a formulae.

It's just a feeling.